Wednesday, November 03, 2004

4 more years of “catastrophic” success???

I hate to be negative, but I’m not looking forward to the next 4 years. When Kerry spoke about ending the division and beginning the healing in his concession speech and the President spoke about reaching across to the people who did not vote for him, I initially felt warm and fuzzy. But reality bites- In 2000, when he won the election running from the middle, he moved quickly to the right and this is reflected in all his policies. This time he ran from the right, in a bitterly divisive campaign and his victory is being touted as a “broad mandate” by the Republicans, is there any reason to believe that he will move from the right to the center? After all he is answerable to the religious conservatives who put him in office. I might have still believed what he said except that even when he was making his speech several Republican senators talked about how they could pursue their conservative policies now that they had a house majority. Also, he has refused to admit that any of his policies was a mistake- he could not even answer that question in the debate. I’ m curious to see how he plans to handle Iraq, the fiscal deficit and his other mistakes over the last 4 years (which he has refused to admit), which are now a colossal mess.
I really hope that he gives me a reason to think my pessimism was unfounded..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home