Thursday, April 19, 2007

Perspectives

On the day of the shooting a friend , who is a phd student was locked in the computer lab in another building for safety - he was trying to find out what was happening from the internet news sites. I was just relieved he was safe.
But each day after the shooting has been awful as more details have been revealed -
Yesterday when I saw the picture of Prof. Loganathan - the Indian prof who was killed I felt physically sick because I knew him - you never imagine such a thing could happen to someone you knew - he was a wonderful man - I first met him at the ISA Association Diwali function and then met him a number of times later. He always stopped and talked to to me on campus to asked me how I was doing and how I was finding American university life. Apparently he was friendly with all newcomers.
Then I heard that an acquaintance was in the classroom that the israeli professor was shot in - he was among the students who jumped out of the window on the grass - he hurt his leg but is safe now.
Today, I saw the detailed map of the building on nytimes.com- the room where most people were killed - 207 Norris - was a class I can never forget- it was my TA class C Programming.
Often when you read about awful incidents you read them objectively like a third person but I guess your perspective shifts when you know people involved or if you have a close connection with the place....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home