Sunday, November 07, 2004

Who Knew ?? Part I

I had the honor of meeting Holley Watts a few months ago,when we were in a course together. As an avid history buff I had read a lot about the Vietnam war when I was in college. When I first met Holley, the war was once again in the spotlight with all the unnecessary discussion about Kerry’s war record. In the one of our conversations she mentioned she had served at Vietnam and written a book about her experiences, which she was trying to get published.Just talking to her and reading her book, touched me in ways I had never imagined.
Her book, which is called “Who Knew…. Reflections on Vietnam”, is a memoir with witty and often poignant paragraphs and compelling pictures. Each page, which is a thoughtful compilation of words and pictures, effectively conveys Holley’s experience and tugs at the heartstrings of the reader.I asked Holley for her permission to quote a paragraph she had written about a soldier that had touched me deeply, on my blog. She asked me to point out which one it was and when I pointed out the page to her, she simply said, “I’m glad you chose that one – he was my boyfriend.” She went on to show me a few more pages, which had references to the same soldier. I was overwhelmed and had tears in my eyes.
Who knew how much difference an ordinary person who has had an extraordinary experience, can make to another person by just sharing?
The excerpt from Holley's book is in my next post.
This is a great book and definitely worth reading. Its also being used as educational material in schools like James Madison University in VA.
For more information or to order a book please contact Holley: email - holleywatts@yahoo.com or call at 540-476-1369.

3 Comments:

At 12:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

debt consolidation

 
At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

debt consolidation

 
At 1:26 AM, Blogger Holley said...

When several "Donut Dollies" read my book "Who Knew? Reflections on Vietnam" and commented about it in glowing terms I was both pleased and humbled. Most said they'd experienced the same thing, that I'd articulated after all these years what they had not. I had said, "It will take you an hour to read it....the first time." If the entire 104-page, 142 color-paged book doesn't interest you then perhaps the movie will. Telly award-winning producers Cheryl and Pat Fries of Arrowhead Films (Austin, TX) have produced the documentary, "A Touch of Home: the Vietnam War Red Cross Girls," scheduled for release this fall in time for the 15th anniversary of the Vietnam Womens Memorial in Washington, DC. Using our own pictures, slides and movies they will introduce you to a side of the Vietnam war you probably never knew existed. As narrator and co-writer for the film I encourage you to contact Cheryl and Patrick at arrowheadfilms.com, tell your vet friends and/or relatives about it, schedule a showing and ask them to invited their friends, but most of all tell them I said,
"WELCOME HOME."

Holley

American Red Cross
DaNang, Chu Lai, An Khe, Cu Chi
Sept '66-67

Holley Watts
74 Church St.
Verona, VA 24482
540-248-3677 (h)

Assistant Editor,
Journal of Mine Action
Mine Action Information Center
James Madison University
Harrisonburg, VA 22807
540-568-8049 (o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home